You might be surprised if you were told that there is a strong connection between skin and mind. In recent years, there have been many studies about understanding the effects of a person’s mental state on his/her body. Mental issues such as depression, anxiety, stress and other psychological conditions have a profound impact on the overall health. Find out how you can have perfect skin with a healthy mind below.
In the words of Manly Hall:
“An unhealthy mind, even in a healthy body, will ultimately destroy health.”
Skin is the largest organ of the body accounts for almost 15-20% of our total body weight. Our skin has thousands of sensors which are responsible for controlling body temperature, nerve control, blood vessels, maintain water balance in the body and perform other vital functions for our body. All these sensors are dependent on our mind to perform well. If our mind is not well, then it shows on our skin and face.
How stress affects our body?
Only a healthy mind can have healthy skin. Stress can affect our hormones which makes the skin more sensitive and reactive. There are multiple effects of stress on the skin.
- Acne breakout: When we are mentally stressed, our body produces more Cortisol. Cortisol then releases the CRH hormone, which secretes excessive sebum from our skin pores. This excessive oil can lead to clogged pores which ultimately leads to acne. According to a 2017 study conducted on females, higher levels of stress are directly linked with the severity level of acne.
- Dry and itchy skin: The outer layer of our skin is called stratum corneum, which has the function of maintaining the hydration level of our skin. It is made with proteins and lipids. According to studies, stress can impair the function of the outer layer of skin, causing it to be dry—the dryness results in itchiness of the skin.
- Premature ageing: Another significant effect of stress on our body is premature ageing. Stress causes hormones to change, which reduces skin elasticity. It then contributes to wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. Even if you are 25, stress will make you look like 40.
- Bags under eyes: The puffiness and swelling under the eyes are known as eye bags. It usually happens as you age, because the skin elasticity is reduced—the sagging of skin results in eye bags. According to research, stress can cause insomnia which results in premature ageing. It also causes uneven skin pigmentation, fine lines and dark circles under eyes.
- Rashes on skin: Stress can lead to a weak immune system which disrupts the balance of bacteria in the gut and skin. This phenomenon is known as ‘dysbiosis’, which leads to the rashes on the skin. If you already have sensitive skin, then stress can worsen the conditions and may cause eczema, psoriasis and other severe skin problems.
How to cope with it?
The first and foremost thing is to reduce the stress in your life. Other than that, there is a need to maintain a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet. You should be active in some physical activity.
If you are dealing with skin problems and want perfect skin, then Mind My Skin provides natural skin therapy products. These products are created with 100% natural and organic ingredients. Their products improve the health of the skin, giving you the perfect skin. Mind My Skin has a complete range of natural skin care products to deal with multiple skin conditions. Mind My Skin has mindfully formulated products so you can get perfect skin boosted by your healthy mind.